Wednesday, November 20, 2019

National Novel Writing Month


“Are you doing NaNo this year? This was a popular question in my writing circle throughout October, the unofficial prep time for NaNoWriMo. My answer is no. It’s great for those who find the pressure of writing 50,000 words in one-month exhilarating.

I can see its value. I had a scene I couldn’t get right, so I wrote 2,000 words in one sitting. It pressed my muse/imagination to the limit, but I finally had what I thought was a bad idea written out. A bad idea was better than a blank page, right? Naturally it took a lot of tweaking to smooth out the wrinkles, but the basic idea turned out to fix my problem.
One of the big difficulties in just pressing through for me is that I find it nearly impossible not to rewrite. That’s one of the rules of the game. No going back and editing. Press forward ever forward. Remind yourself you can fix it later. They have a great support system in place, but it doesn’t work for me. I edit my texts, messages, and everything else I write. When my children were in school, even excuses to the teacher when they were sick. It just isn’t in my DNA.
For those of you reading my blog who are in the middle of it, keep going, you can do this. I’ll cheer you on, just don’t expect me to join you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment