Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Morning Grandma: Movie The Help

My husband and I were at Target looking at movies. A man suggested The Help. We hadn’t ever heard of it. When we read the back, it sounded like one we would both want to watch (he likes adventure, and I like chic flicks). It was an amazing, thought provoking movie. It starts out slow, and you wonder where it’s going, but the characters are well done, and it draws you in. It gave this southern California girl insights into the way it was in the south in the 1960’s. You see both the sides: the ladies of white society, and their African American domestic help.


Being in California I never could understand different schools, sitting in the back of the bus, different drinking fountains, different counters in cafeterias and such. Even our military was segregated. I thought it was all stupid. I don’t want to give anything away, but I still can’t comprehend how any human being could have charitable societies to “help the poor starving people of Africa” and in the same breath treat their kindred in this country as sub-human. 

No comments:

Post a Comment