Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday Morning Grandma--Weaknesses Can Become Strengths

Weaknesses can become strengths. One example is my wild and wooly hair.


                          
Not that hair is all that big of a deal in life, but it is important to appearance, and right or wrong we are judged on appearance.

This isn’t a post just about my hair, but the bigger picture. We all have weaknesses that can become strengths with the Lord’s help.

Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin and had little formal education. He had deep faith in God. He educated himself, and eventually rose to be the president of the United States. It isn’t what we’re born with nor is it the hand we’re dealt, but through trial and error, hard work, and reliance on the Lord, we can overcome or work around obstacles.

Sometimes we need to quit fighting, and look for another way to accomplish goals. We have great athletes that need artificial limbs. People dance in wheelchairs. Some things we cannot do ourselves and we need to be humble and ask for help. I don’t remember the details, but one young woman that was wheelchair bound got to the top of a mountain with the help of her friends who carried her.

I could go on and on, but you don’t want a novel, just a blog post.

Back to my hair: Over the years I tried to control my hair into smooth hairstyles with curlers, hot rollers, curling irons, and hair spray. These methods would provide control for a few hours, but eventually my hair would look messy. My older brother hardly ever saw me, even as an adult, without saying, “Donna Bee, go comb your hair.”

Then, one day by following the advice of one of my daughters, I decided to work with my hair instead of fighting against it. By using the right product, I have a hairstyle that is muss free. I can lie down and take a nap walk through mild wind, even light rain doesn’t cause problems. Is it the style I would choose if I could go through a hairstyle book and pick anything I want? No. But it works for me.

By trying different a different path, I have gone from “Donna Bee go comb your hair.” To strangers stopping me on the street or in stores and saying, “You have beautiful hair.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment