Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Monday Morning Grandma--Small Stuff

Lap top is in the shop, and I didn't know I could only access this part of blog from this screen name. Sigh. I want my lap top back. At least I figured it out today.

It’s interesting to think of the small ways others have touched our lives. They teach us lifelong habits. A few of mine are below. As you can tell, my brother Bob taught me a lot. The important, serious things I’ve learned along the way belong on a different post.

Bob taught me: The correct way to eat an apple is to circle around the middle first, then eat the top and bottom parts. When you butter toast, be sure to cover every crumb to the crust. The best way to get every bit of corn on the cob is to lift the kernels out one row at a time with your bottom teeth. (I don’t do that anymore because it takes too much time.) I didn’t realize until this year when we visited him I also learned how to eat a sandwich—crust first. That gets rid of the crust then you can eat what he calls “dessert” or the middle with all of the goodness and without the crust.

This isn’t just about my brother; I learned habits from others as well:
I remember having lunch with some high school friends when they insisted I try ketchup on my French fries.
I learned to be cynical about commercials from a high school friend.
I now only use ½ of a can of water when warming up canned condensed soup (more flavor). I learned that when going to junior college at institute of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


I won’t bore you with any more. I’ll bet you can think of people who have influenced you in small ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment